It looks like as much as it wasn’t my plan, a weekly review is happening once again.

Monday: I worked at daycare from 8 – 5, in the barely one year old room, which really isn’t that anymore. Due to staffing shortages, they haven’t been taking in any new babies, so the room that is supposed to be from 11 months – 18 months now has almost 2 year old’s. Anyway, this day there were only 3 children there and 2 teachers, so it was an easy peasy day.

After I got home from work, I went out and did a driveway wun. During the first 5 minutes of walking, I had an episode of not being able to breath well. I was huffing and puffing like I was sprinting. Granted, I was walking up a pretty steep hill, but it shouldn’t have been that much exertion. I stopped to see what my blood oxygen level was. Garmin wouldn’t take it at first. By the time I did a second attempt, I had been standing long enough that I wasn’t huffing and puffing anymore. My pulse oxygen level was 96%. Who knows what it was 2 minutes earlier? After that, I really didn’t have any issues. Wun 2.50 miles in 35:12 minutes for a 14:05 min/mile (4.3 mph) pace. Avg HR – 142 bpm Max HR – 161 bpm

Tuesday: This was the most exciting day of the week. I worked in the same classroom as Monday from 8 – 4:55. I left a little bit early because the local volunteer fire department was coming at 6 to burn off a field of sage grass for me. Sage grass is an invasive grass that the cattle won’t eat. It’s not good for hay, for that reason. My dad used to run his cattle out here and they would keep it down (they will eat it when it is young), but it’s been a couple of years and it was looking bad. One of the ways to kill it/stunt it’s growth and promote the growth of the good grass is to burn the field. I found out that the local volunteer fire department will do that for a monetary donation. Durning this time of year, you have to get a burn permit from the forestry department. I had gotten mine on Monday. The wind picked up on Tuesday afternoon, so I had expected the permit to be rescinded and/or the fire department decide it was too dangerous to burn, but neither of those things happened. They came a little before 6 with three fire trucks, a 4-wheeler, and about 15 volunteer firefighters.

If you look closely at the second photo, you can see my house through the trees on top of the hill. It’s about half way between the truck and the smoke. Fortunately, the wind was blowing in the right direction, that is away from the woods and toward the road. That is probably the only reason they did the burn. It helped speed things up.

The flames and smoke were intense.
Spraying the road

I didn’t ask, but I am assuming they sprayed the edge of the road in order to both keep it from jumping the road and also to keep it from melting the asphalt.

Everything went well until they were using the little brush firetruck to go along the edge of the woods to put out the last remaining flames and got stuck. Fortunately, the fire chief lives about a mile from my house, so they got his tractor to pull it out. What better way to wash the mud off the truck than with the firehose?

It was almost 8:30 when I got home. I was tired but went down to the basement and walked a mile on the treadmill in 15:48 minutes for a 3.8 mph pace. Avg HR – 104 Max HR – 110. Keeping the exercise streak going.

Wednesday: I didn’t have to be at work until noon, so I got up early enough to get my exercise done in the morning. I started later than I intended, so didn’t have much time. I did run but cut it short. This was another treadmill session. I walked a total of 1.0 mile for warm up and cool down in a total of 15:50 min/mile for a 3.8 mph pace. I ran a ladder from 4.5 mph- 5.1 mph with two minutes at each level. Run – 1.0 mile in 12:37 minutes for a 4.8 mph pace. Avg HR – 135 bpm Max HR – 137 bpm. Not too bad, all things considered.

Thursday: I didn’t have to start work until noon again, but I did have a couple of other things that I needed to do in town before that, so I only had time for a walk on the treadmill. I walked 1.0 mile in 15:48 minutes for a 3.8 mph pace. Avg HR – 96 pbm Max HR – 107 bpm

I took my Holter monitor off and mailed it to Texas to be read. It may be two weeks before I get the results from my doctor.

Friday: I played doubles tennis for 1:51:05 h:m:s, in the morning with the talkative bunch. It’s always fun, even if I don’t feel I get a good workout during the time. They are amazed at how fast I can make it across the court to go after a ball. That makes me feel good and like the little running I am doing is helping.

I worked in the same room after tennis until 5:15. When I got home, I went down for a walk on the treadmill. The wind was blowing, making the wind chill too much for me to walk outdoors. I walked 1.0 mile in 15:48 min for a 3.8 mph pace. Avg HR – 99 bpm Max HR – 117 bpm

Saturday: Mom made sourdough bread that she wanted to give to the tax accountant who does her taxes for free every year. So, we left early to drive to town to get it to them while it was still warm. It’s so good fresh out of the oven.

I made the mistake of sitting down at the computer when I got home and almost talked myself out of running. Fortunately, I was able to get myself up and motivated enough to take that first step. I did another treadmill session as it was cold and windy again. I decided to try to run for at least 45 minutes. I did a run/walk of 4/1 minutes. The walks were at 3.8 mph and the runs were a ladder from 4.5 mph – 5.0 mph – 4.5 mph. It felt fairly easy, and my breathing was good, so I wound up running for a little over 50 minutes. I walked 1.0 mile total for warm up and cool down at 3.8 mph. I ran 4.0 miles in 52:46 minutes for a 13:12 min/mile (4.5 mph) pace. Avg HR – 144 bpm Max HR – 161 BPM This is my longest run of the year so far.

Sunday: I like to look at my Garmin sleep analysis in the mornings, just to see what it says. This morning it said that my sleep was short and of poor quality and that I had a lot of very intense exercise yesterday, so I might feel tired today. At the time, I felt fine and thought Garmin was silly. I changed my mind when I found myself nodding off during Sunday School. I was interested in the lesson. I just could NOT keep my eyes open. I guess Garmin knew what it was talking about.

It was cold and breezy again, so I did another treadmill session between church and lunch. I walked 1.0 mile in 15:50 minutes for a 3.8 mph pace. Avg HR – 101 bpm Max HR – 108 bpm.

I really was tired, so I spent most of my afternoon sitting on the couch, watching movies. I did manage about a 10 minute nap. I’m still tired and am working from 7:45 – 4:45 tomorrow, so I am hoping to have a better night’s sleep tonight.

I hope you all have a great week, and the weather improves.

15 thoughts on “WEEK 12 IN REVIEW

  1. Tuesday sounds like it was a pretty nifty day — we saw some (What I hope were) controlled burns in Kansas last weekend. I made a joke about that ‘famous Kansas BBQ’ but I’ve smelled enough wildfires living in Colorado to know it wasn’t anything so savory.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you. It was pretty nifty. I’m glad that I had it done. Now to wait for the rain to wash off the soot and get the good grass to grow.

      I hope the fires you saw were controlled burns too. Wildfires can be so devastating.

      Liked by 1 person

          1. Yeah, it seems to be a common occurrence here in the Springs. Which one was it? Black Forrest? Waldo? (there’ve been others, but those are the biggies the last few years)

            Liked by 1 person

              1. Hmm, the only one I know of ‘recently’ that might’ve affected that neighborhood was Waldo Canyon — it didn’t come that close, but it wasn’t too far away… Summer of 2012. I lived nearer the site of the fire then as well, and had similar concerns — I had my important stuff in ‘evacuation-ready’ state.

                I don’t know if this was the one you’re thinking of — just a guess.


                1. I can’t remember. I’m not sure I ever “knew” the name of it. She has also lived on Pennsylvania Avenue. I just remember she lived on a hill, I think, and said she could see it getting closer.

                  Liked by 1 person

                  1. The street you gave me is definitely on a hill here (not far from where I live now, actually).

                    Ultimately it doesn’t really matter, I guess — but it’s interesting to know you have more than just a passing history here too.

                    Liked by 1 person

  2. What an active week… lots of variety. When I read about your tennis, I do miss it. But I know it cannot fit into my life with work and running. I chose running because it’s easier to schedule and cheaper.

    I only wear a watch for races so I never know my sleep or paces… which I think is a great thing. It would depress me. lol

    Liked by 1 person

    1. It is hard to schedule everything, but I don’t want to give up tennis. It’s the social aspect I need.

      Yeah. Watch data can be depressing, but I’m a scientist at heart and love to analyze everything. The more infor, the better.


  3. That is so interesting about the fire department coming in for the sage grass- I didn’t know they did this for a donation in some areas, they are perfectly equipped for that. Sounds like a busy week – hope this week is a good one as well!

    Liked by 1 person

  4. I find that when the week gets away from us, a weekly review is perhaps the most expedient way to go!

    Goodness! that fire would have been way too much excitement for me! I am glad it ended well.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s